Western High School Bands
2018-19 Western High Marching Band
Welcome to the Western Band page! We have a long tradition of musical excellence and opportunities. This page has a few details, including a "Calendar of Events" and the Western High School Band Handbook. For even more information, be sure to join our Western High School Bands Facebook page, and subscribe to our YouTube channel. Please email Mr. Bickel at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information about the band.
9th Grade ladies---your dresses will be here this week. We have scheduled your alterations during 2nd hour this Thursday, September 19th. Please bring your shoes for this one for sure!
Parma Day Parade Information
*Saturday morning, September 21st in Parma, MI
*Wear full uniform--plenty of photos and videos at this parade, so look sharp! :)
*Please drive yourself or be dropped off.
*10:30 a.m.---Gather at Minder Machine parking lot under Michigan Avenue bridge, dropped off or park nearby
*DIRECTIONS---Take Michigan Avenue to Parma, bear left on James, to right on Railroad to the area under the bridge
*Parade starts promptly at 11 am (excited!)
*Drumline performs at noon.
*Buses will pull off at the point at Main and Elizabeth so as to safely load your equipment and students. You will be dismissed there.
6. We will be fitting 9th grade ladies for their concert dresses on Thursday, September 12th during class. BE SURE TO BRING YOUR SHOES so we get the right height.
That is all...thanks, everyone!
Good morning! Here are a few band announcements for the week.ALL Band members---we will have our annual magazine subscription renewal fundraiser rollout tomorrow. Please bring your phones to class. Parents, you may be texted or contacted by your students during band class tomorrow!Marching Band members---1. The first home game is this Thursday, August 29th.2. The report time is 6:00 p.m. to make sure all uniforms are properly fitted.3. We will have picture night in the gym after pregame and come back out for the rest of the first half. If you'd like to buy a picture, please grab a form in class.Non-marching band members--Your first performance grade is due on Wednesday by 2:30 p.m. The piece and measures are listed in Schoology, where it is to be submitted. This earns your weekly credit in place of a marching performance.
Get your team gear at the 2019 BAND APPAREL My Team Shop by August 5th!
Western Drumline 2019-20Key:***Captain**Section Leader*Assistant Section LeaderBass (drum in parentheses)Zippy Memon (1)Alyssa Ladd** (2)Aiden Rogers (3)Logan Neill (4)Noah Sheppard (5)Abby Bolenbaugh** (6)CymbalsAsh GroshongAshlyn HoffmanMackenzie Lester**Clara LupoTeagan RobertsonStella SponslerSnareLily AldermanOwen FremeauMicah HallHezekiah Lewis***Hannah Lowden*TenorRylie Bruton***Evie BucklandGarrie StilesPit PercussionWill KilmerSpencer Pardee
Band Event Calendar 2019-20 and Confirmation Form---click on link below (identical to what was handed out to all students in high school band next year in class). Please print and return page one, signed by student and parent. Please keep page two, so that you have the events to add to your calendars.
Upcoming Western High School Bands events
- 22-26 WHS Marching Band Camp
- 5 Marching Rehearsal in parking lot 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 12 Marching Rehearsal in parking lot 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 19 Marching Rehearsal in stadium 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 26 Marching Rehearsal in stadium 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 20 Band Booster meeting @ Biggby in S.A. @7:00
- 27 6th Grade Band Instrument Rental Night, 6PM, HS Auditorium
- 29 WHS Marching Band at Home Football Game and Picture Night-HS
- 9 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 9 Marching Rehearsal in stadium 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 13 WHS Marching Band at Home Football Game
- 16 Marching Rehearsal in stadium 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 21 WHS Marching Band at Parma Day Parade 11:00 a.m.
- 23 Marching Rehearsal in stadium 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 27 WHS Marching Band at Home Football Game (Homecoming)
- 30 WHS Marching Band at Jackson County Marching Band Invitational
- 7 Marching Rehearsal in stadium 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- 7 Booster meetings --Band @ Biggby in S.A., 7:00, Choir @ Biggby 5:30
- 11 WHS Marching Band at Home Football Game
- 15 Fall Band Concerts (ALL - 6, 6:45, 7:30 p.m.)
- 25 WHS Marching Band at Home Football Game (Senior night)
- 30 Percussion Concussion at Jackson College (Drumline)
- 7 Band Department Small Group Day (during class)
- 11 Blue Lake Scholarship Aud. for Band & Choir Students (in class)
- 11 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 2 Booster meetings--Choir @ Biggby 5:30, Band @ Biggby in S.A., 7:00
- 4 HS Holiday Band Concerts 7:00
- 5 MS Holiday Band Concerts (6, 7:00)
- 6 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 16 Music Department Picture Day (During school. Wear concert uniforms)
- 25 HS Band Solo/Ensemble at Onsted High School
- 27 “Chilly” Jazz Dinner
- 29 HS Masterworks Concert 7:00 p.m.(Western Symphonic & Select Choir)
- 10 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 14 Love & Wars! Music Booster Dinner and Dueling Pianos @ Cascade Manor House
- 18 Jackson County Honors Band rehearsal
- 27 Band Concerts - HS @ 5:00 , 6th Gr. @ 6:00, and 7th & 8th Gr. @ 6:45
- 2 Band Boosters 7:00 p.m. @ SA Biggby
- 6-7 Host MS/HS Band Festival here (6-9 Band Rehearsals on stage)
- 14 Band State Solo/Ensemble (Optional, @ Okemos HS)
- 20-23 Band trip to NYC
- 24 Jackson County Honors Band (off site)
- 13 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 17 HS Jazz Band to Elementary Schools
- 11 MS Band Solo & Ensemble (optional) - Jonesville High School
- 24-25 Thornapple Jazz Festival - Hastings
- 11 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 17 HS Band Concert: 2:00 - HS Bands
- 18 MS Band Concert: 6:00 6th Gr. & 8th Gr. Jazz / 7:00 - 7th & 8th Gr.
- 22 Commencement (Symphonic Band)
- 25 HS Marching Band (grades 9-12) at Spring Arbor Memorial Day Parade
Meet the Western High School Band Director!
Mr. Paul Bickel
Mr. Bickel started his teaching career in 1992 at Vandercook Lake, where he taught all bands in grades 5-12 (marching, concert, and MS and HS jazz), 9th and 10th Grade English, and restarted both the choir and jazz band programs at Vandercook Lake until 2002. He teaches band at Western with middle school band director Christina Prater. Mr. Bickel teaches 6th Grade Beginning Brass, HS Concert Band, HS Symphonic Band, the WHS Marching Band, and HS Jazz Band. He also assists the 7th Grade Band and 8th Grade Band. Mr. Bickel is an active trumpet performer in the Jackson French Quarter Dixieland Band (run by father Philip Bickel), piano and vocal performer as a dueling piano player for "Piano Wars!". He loves teaching because he loves to inspire students to perform and continue through and after high school. He is married to Bethany Bickel, Western Middle School's choir director, and they have two daughters, Julia and Laura.