Western High School Bands
2019-20 Western High Marching Band
Welcome to the Western Band page! We have a long tradition of musical excellence and opportunities. This page has a few details, including a "Calendar of Events" and the Western High School Band Handbook. For even more information, be sure to join our Western High School Bands Facebook page, and subscribe to our YouTube channel. Please email Mr. Bickel at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information about the band.
It's that time of year! The Western Jazz Bands present their annual "Chilly" Jazz dinner on Monday, January 27th.Please click the link and consider helping us out and donate toward the food so that we can have a successful fundraiser for the band students!
The next Band Boosters meeting will be on Monday, February 10th at 7 p.m. at Biggy Coffee in Spring Arbor! Come on out!
*January--Chilly Jazz dinner is coming! Also, the Masterworks Concert with the Western Select Choir and Symphonic Band.*February--Pre-Festival Concert*March---Hosting Band Festival and New York TripThanks, all! It's a pleasure to be your band director!---Mr. Bickel
Please copy and paste the link below (click "show more") from this website for up-to-date private lessons information through the Jackson Symphony Orchestra (for students looking for lessons on flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, French horn, tuba, or percussion).We recommend Mr. William Cryderman for trumpet lessons. If interested in enrolling, please contact them, then contact me for the Band Boosters program to be refunded some of the expense.https://www.jacksonmusicschool.org/lessons/
Band Event Calendar 2019-20 and Confirmation Form---click on link below (identical to what was handed out to all students in high school band next year in class). Please print and return page one, signed by student and parent. Please keep page two, so that you have the events to add to your calendars.
Upcoming Western High School Bands events
- 6 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 16 Music Department Picture Day (During school. Wear concert uniforms)
- 25 HS Band Solo/Ensemble at Onsted High School
- 27 “Chilly” Jazz Dinner
- 29 HS Masterworks Concert 7:00 p.m.(Western Symphonic & Select Choir)
- 10 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 14 Love & Wars! Music Booster Dinner and Dueling Pianos @ Cascade Manor House
- 18 Jackson County Honors Band rehearsal
- 27 Band Concerts - HS @ 5:00 , 6th Gr. @ 6:00, and 7th & 8th Gr. @ 6:45
- 2 Band Boosters 7:00 p.m. @ SA Biggby
- 6-7 Host MS/HS Band Festival here (6-9 Band Rehearsals on stage)
- 14 Band State Solo/Ensemble (Optional, @ Okemos HS)
- 20-23 Band trip to NYC
- 24 Jackson County Honors Band (off site)
- 13 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 17 HS Jazz Band to Elementary Schools
- 11 MS Band Solo & Ensemble (optional) - Jonesville High School
- 24-25 Thornapple Jazz Festival - Hastings
- 11 Booster meetings @ Biggby in S.A., 5:30 - Choir, 7:00 - Band
- 17 HS Band Concert: 2:00 - HS Bands
- 18 MS Band Concert: 6:00 6th Gr. & 8th Gr. Jazz / 7:00 - 7th & 8th Gr.
- 22 Commencement (Symphonic Band)
- 25 HS Marching Band (grades 9-12) at Spring Arbor Memorial Day Parade
Meet the Western High School Band Director!
Mr. Paul Bickel
Mr. Bickel started his teaching career in 1992 at Vandercook Lake, where he taught all bands in grades 5-12 (marching, concert, and MS and HS jazz), 9th and 10th Grade English, and restarted both the choir and jazz band programs at Vandercook Lake until 2002. He teaches band at Western with middle school band director Christina Prater. Mr. Bickel teaches 6th Grade Beginning Brass, HS Concert Band, HS Symphonic Band, the WHS Marching Band, and HS Jazz Band. He also assists the 7th Grade Band and 8th Grade Band. Mr. Bickel is an active trumpet performer in the Jackson French Quarter Dixieland Band (run by father Philip Bickel), piano and vocal performer as a dueling piano player for "Piano Wars!". He loves teaching because he loves to inspire students to perform and continue through and after high school. He is married to Bethany Bickel, Western Middle School's choir director, and they have two daughters, Julia and Laura.